Thomaston Dam Riders:
The time has come for us to let our voices be heard again. NVCOG has released the draft report for the greenway. Unfortunately, the route recommended in the report is the one that we all don’t want and spoke out against. The recommended route proposes to share the paved portion of Old Route 8 from the northern end of the pavement to the parking lot. NVCOG’s own documents admit that the overwhelming majority of public comment was in opposition to the greenway coming through the Dam but these voices have not yet been heard.
It’s not over yet! The report is in draft form and is not yet final. There is a public comment period going on now and we need you to voice your concerns.
- Ask that the recommended route for the greenway avoid using any part of the trailbike area.
- Be polite.
- Be concise.
- Talk about what the Dam means to you and your family.
Tony Gasper, NETRA President and Pathfinders representative, attended several meetings when the draft was being prepared. At each meeting, he stated that the official stance was that no changes should be made to the riding area. When the engineers asked for commentary about what sharing the area would look like, he offered suggestions but repeated that NETRA’s official position is that no changes should be made.
Is there any good news?
- We think that NVCOG was honest in reporting the level of opposition and did not attempt to hide this in the report.
- NVCOG took the extra time to visit the site with representatives from the Pathfinders to better understand how the area is used. This helped the recommended route completely avoid the trails north of the paved Old Route 8.
- The report states that the Army Corps does not support anything that infringes on riding.
Please be sure to leave your public comments. The comment period ends March 13, 2020.
Thank you for your participation.
The WRTD Guys