LET’S GET READY for the meeting at 5:30 on 2/28
Center School, 1 Thomas Avenue, Thomaston CT
- There are currently many possible routes for the greenway. We want the Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (the group conducting the study) to pick a route that avoids the trail area.
- Be polite, respectful, and calm. Making a scene will not help our cause.
- This is not the fault of the Army Corps of Engineers. There’s no reason to be mad at them.
- This is not the fault of the State of Connecticut.
- Emphasize that T.D. is the ONLY legal riding available to non-street-registered dirt bikes. Industry estimates say that there are approximately 26,000 dirtbikes in CT.
- Emphasize that when you come to Thomaston you also spend money on gas, drinks, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. If the trails go away, then this revenue would be lost for Thomaston.
Some people say “I’m not a good public speaker.” YOU CAN DO IT! Write down the following on a note card if you need to. The more people that speak, the better:
- “Good afternoon, my name is _____”
- “I’m an active user of the Thomaston Dam trails. My family, friends, and I visit Thomaston ____ times every year for the purpose of using the trail area.”
- “I’m very strongly opposed to any route for the greenway that interrupts the trail system at Thomaston Dam. Thank you.”
The public stereotype of dirtbikers is already not good. Let’s not help them think that we are second-class citizens.
WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER but we need to let NVCOG see that we are a large and well-organized group!
Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments